Tuesday 20 September 2011

Imperial Guard vs Space Wolves (Vassal Battle Report)

 I joined an online Vassal40k league to get the chance to practice with my army while I am working on the massive painting project. My first match is against a Space Wolves player. We rolled up a map from the map pool, and ended up with Annihilation with Spearhead deployment. I won the roll and deployed first. His list:

HQ: 110
Rune Priest, Chooser of the Slain, Living Lightning, Jaws of the World Wolf (110)

ELITE: 285
Wolf Guards x5, Combi-meltagun x5, Power fist x3 (175)
Wolf Scouts x5, Meltagun, Melta bombs (110)

TROOPS: 900
Grey Hunters x8, Meltagun, Wolf Standard, Mark of the Wulfen, Rhino (185)
Grey Hunters x8, Meltagun, Wolf Standard, Mark of the Wulfen, Rhino (185)
Grey Hunters x5, Meltagun, Rhino (115)
Grey Hunters x5, Meltagun, Rhino (115)
Grey Hunters x5, Flamer, Razorback, Lascannon and twin-linked plasma gun (150)
Grey Hunters x5, Flamer, Razorback, Lascannon and twin-linked plasma gun (150)

FAST: 360
Thunderwolf Cavalry x3, Power Fist x1, Meltabombs x1 (180)
Thunderwolf Cavalry x3, Power Fist x1, Meltabombs x1 (180)

HEAVY: 345
Long Fangs x5, Squad Leader, Missile Launcher x4 (115)
Long Fangs x5, Squad Leader, Missile Launcher x4 (115)
Long Fangs x5, Squad Leader, Missile Launcher x4 (115)

TOTAL: 2000
Deployment
 So... due to terrain I don't really have a whole lot special to do. Hydras on the flanks, and Infantry Chimeras go forward. Some token troops were out to represent the Special Weapon Squads taking the Stormtrooper Chimeras to save time; if he blows them up before I embark, I will place the rest. He has his longfangs out and in cover. I do not actually mind since all my weapons that will be shooting at them generally still allow him his 3+ saves anyway. Oh, and he seizes the initiative. Magical.


SW Turn 1
 Not much happening here, he moves up a bit. His Longfangs manage to stun both Hydras and destroys one of the top Hydra's weapons, but that is about it. Pretty good considering I could not pop smoke yet.
IG Turn 1
 I advance some Chimeras for some blocking and cover, manage to pop his forward Rhino. His Longfangs made a fantastic amount of saves and take only one wound (statistically I should be able to kill 6-7 a turn). I manage to immobilize two of my Chimeras on terrain. Doing his work for him...
Killpoints: IG: 1, SW: 0
SW Turn 2
 Here, I should have been a little more rulesey as it comes back to bite me. His upper rhino tried to get into the centre ruin and immobilized itself. What I should have done is made sure that he rotated first before doing his move (as you cannot actually just shuffle sideways). His large Grey Hunters (with Rune Priest) disembark, move forward, pop the Chimera and assault, wiping out the troops. Had it rotated, he would not have been able to assault. He Stuns a couple chimeras with shooting. I forgot to remove the stuns from the Hydras, from this point forward no shooting is taken by them.
Killpoints: IG: 1, SW: 2
IG Turn 2
 Both Stormtroopers come in and are still able to threaten the Longfangs despite scattering both times each. For some bizarre reason, four meltas and six rapid-firing hot shot lasguns manage one casualty. I am able to pop the front Rhino and then proceed to spread as many wounds as possible around his squads to force panic checks, but only the small Greyhunters in the top middle crater flee. I continue to bait with my forward Chimera on the bottom which continually soaks up all the fire.
Killpoints: IG: 2, SW: 2
SW Turn 3
 So, on a roll of a 1, the Scouts come in on the right side and are able to charge both Stormtroopers. One Sergeant lives so when the other unit flees, it is not pursued. Unfortunately, the only go 5" forcing them to flee again on my turn. The Thunderwolves come in and do their thing. Only the ones with Powerfists actually manage results: Str 5 is a waste of time in combat vs AV10. The Greyhunters fail to melta the upper Chimera, but one Powerfist manages to come in and wreck it.
Killpoints: IG: 2, SW: 4
IG Turn 3
 Time for some revenge. A couple tankshocks force both the Thunderwolves and Greyhunters to flee. I place my Command Squad and other Chimera such that I have units within 6" to force them off the board. On the bottom, the second Command Squad disembarks to pass two Fire on my Target! orders for the disembarked vets to shoot at the remaining Thunderwolves unit, putting one wound onto each. I thought that 'V' formation with my Chimeras was pretty slick (the second tried to tank shock the centre Grey Hunters and Thunderwolves, but they both held), preventing the Wolves from assaulting them. Unfortunately, his part of the assault finally wrecks the vehicle. I manage to wreck one of his Razorbacks. On the right, the Scouts finish eating the lone Stormtrooper and move on to the next Squad still fleeing. I send out an Infantry Squad to assault the Longfangs and silence them, but both sides do no wounds to each other.
Killpoints: IG: 3, SW: 6
SW Turn 4
 Okay, this picture was taken slightly into my turn by accident. Both the fleeing Grey Hunters and Thunderwolves only move a couple inches. He manages a Jaws on the Command Squad but only the Commander actually dies to it, some bolters take out the meltaguns. He multi-assaults with the Wolves again, exploding a Chimera and putting 5 wounds on the remaining six Vets (the exploded vehicle also wiped out a good chunk of my army). I decide to leave my Sergeant alive as I figure they will still flee, but have the best chance to be rallied with orders. I roll a 3 and he stays in allowing the black squad to get away. This is bad, I wanted to wipe them out with shooting on my turn, but now he will get another assault in. He runs out with his Grey Hunters on the right and assaults my Infantry Squad, wiping them out. The Scouts eat the Stormtroopers and he consolidates them into line of sight blocking terrain. On the top, his Longfangs and other units rush over to hide behind his Razorback. 'Really?', I asked him, a little ticked off to have to play this kind of game. 'Yes,' he replies.
Killpoints: IG: 3, SW: 9
IG Turn 4
 Okay, this turn I tank shock both those fleeing units off the board. I am kind of stuck with my shooting options here as the Thunderwolves stayed in combat. I order the black Vets to Get Back in the Fight! and some rear units reposition to get ready for the next turn. I don't manage to move the blue squad enough to block the Thunderwolves from multi-assaulting or even to save that unit, with a total move and run of 3". I destroy the last Razorback leaving a Wreck that his units can fully hide behind. Time to bring in the Special Weapons Squad cleanup crew! Shockingly, three Thunderwolf Cavalry manage to kill a single Imperial Guardsmen... He only consolidates 1", but they have plenty of move to do what they want. I try to position units so that he assaults in the way I want him to. The far right Chimera puts wounds on the Longfangs and Grey hunters, along with the help of some Multi-lasers and Autocannons, but both units hold. On the top, behind the building and on the right, six units hide completely out of Line of Sight and the rest sit in cover. Fun times.
*Important Note: I realize here, while writing this up, that my top Special Weapons Chimera just popped smoke for the second time, which neither of us realized. Kind of irrelevant considering nothing was shooting anyway, but I will need to make sure to get some kind of counters to use in games to remember this.
Killpoints: IG: 6, SW: 10
SW Turn 5
 Not much to report here, units are mostly hiding. His two Greyhunters manage to get a fortuitous wreck on the right Chimera and hide themselves completely behind it, and the Thunderwolves pop a Chimera and wipe a Squad. His central Grey Hunters and long Longfang on the right start to run away. He runs his squad of two Grey Hunters into the hiding Rhino.
Killpoints: IG: 6, SW 13
IG Turn 5
Here we go, time to clean things up a bit. I disembark a whole bunch and wipe out the Thunderwolf Cavalry, which disappear leaving a few black scorch marks on the ground. My special Weapons move up and blow up a stranded Rhino and wipe a Squad of Grey Hunters. I wipe the unit of two Longfangs out. I don't manage to cause enough wounds on any other units to force any panic checks and even the bottom Hydra could not manage a kill on the lone Longfang.
Killpoints: IG: 10, SW: 13

On a roll of a 1, the game ends with the Wolves winning by three Kill Points.

Analysis: I am really not down about this game, I think it went quite well for my first playtest of my new list. I learned about how important it is to prioritize the Thunderwolves in future games (where there is not a big LOS blocking piece in the centre), as Longfangs are really fairly ineffective against AV12. I feel like I played the list well enough and was generally able to get him to shoot and assault what I wanted him to. Despite the loss, I am still feeling good about the army; it truly is a nightmare list to face. By the end he was completely on his back heels with every single unit either hiding or running to hide and I should have an easy finish in that scenario if the game were to continue. This is generally not a 'parking lot' army, but since I so effectively outshoot him and he has devastating (to vehicles) charges, I wanted to delay as much as possible that eventuality. I also think this solidly shows that despite having 30 total Killpoints, it does not really make Annihilation a bad scenario for me.

Discussion: Always open to opinions, how could I have deployed/played this better?

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a pretty good game. Too bad he pulled the greasy hiding maneuver and you had the initiative stolen on you.

    Can't really offer any advice without reading the thing more thoroughly :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did the sentinels do? I don't see them mentioned

    ReplyDelete
  3. They popped a vehicle or two and put some wounds onto Longfangs. There was no point getting them into an assault with Powerfists, and they couldn't really reach anything anyway. Just kept shooting all game.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you're correct that the TWC need to die first, as their multi-assaults can rack up KP on Guardsmen and Chimeras quickly, especially in a target-rich list such as yours.

    I think you might want to concentrate on your Sentinel deployment. You kinda boxed them up in a corner where they couldn't contribute their tarpit potential.

    In my opinion you should look to split them so they cover both "ends" of your chimera blob, so that you have the option of tarpitting anything that gets near your tanks. If you had deployed one sentinel on the north end of your force (behind the IS chimera) you might have been able to use it to tie up the 8xHunters and concentrate your fire on the Thunderwolves. Mark of the Wulfen isn't exactly the ideal thing to be charging, but it will still take a while and at least you'll eventually get out of combat :)

    In short, I think you missed out on a potentially huge tactical move by deploying both Sentinels so far away from your northern line. You would have had a much easier time dealing with the TWC with the Grey Hunter blob out of the picture.

    I also think that the Stormtroopers should have dropped near the top center (going after the northern Fangs) for two reasons. First, anything that fell back after Tank Shocks would likely have ended up being within 6" of them. Second, if he did send his scouts (or any other unit, for that matter) to kill them, you'd have had an easy time mopping up afterward. I'll admit this is much easier to see in hindsight than during the game, but it's something to think about. Unless you desperately need to apply Melta to something in the backfield (i.e., not multi-laser-able) you should be looking to drop the stormies somewhere that will help your midfield push, ideally in a place where can punish your opponent for killing them off.

    One quick question: Astropath or Standards in this list? Would one have definitely helped over the other?

    Other than that, excellent battle report. Very detailed and crisp. Please do more of these if you can find the time out of painting :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used the Astropath, and the banners would have had little effect on the game.

    I agree on the Sentinels, I should have deployed them better and forseen him just storming his army through the centre.

    I think what I should have done to change things in this situation would have been to take my middle to Infantry Squad Chimeras, disembark the squad and shove them forward to block movement. The Infantry Squads would take their two turns to fan out in front of my tanks and provide two layers of 'bubble wrap' that units would have to assault through before reaching my tanks. I'll have to try that next time it comes up.

    ReplyDelete