Wednesday 21 September 2011

Speedpainting Storm Troopers

Here we go, a quick step-by-step of how I painted my Stormtroopers. I decided to knock these guys off early in my painting because they have more details than any other models in the list. First off, the finished product:

Ready to melta
 Now then, on to the guide:


Step 1: Basecoat
  Get some Iyandan Yellow into an airbrush and coat everything.

Step 2: Bases (I really need a lighting kit...)

Wash the base with a 50:50 watered down Devlan Mud. Drybrush with Dheneb Stone, then rim the thing with something dark to make things show up better (Scorched Brown used here). Always avoid rimming with black if you can, it actually takes away from the rest of the colour!

Step 3: Base Colours

 Now to do the base colours. I did a 50:50 mix of Iyandan Yellow and Vermin Brown to do all the leather parts. The backpacks are full Vermin Brown. Metal Detail is all Boltgun Metal and the guns are Scab Red. Feel free to toss in some high-contrast highlights at this point before you move on. The model will now look horrible, but keep your painting neat and have faith.

Step 4: Washes (AKA Cheating)
Alright, now take everything that is yellow and leather and paint on Gryphonne Sepia. The backpack, weapon and metal are all washed with Devlan Mud. When the Sepia has dried, do another coat of Ogryn Flesh on the armoured plates. Some black wash was used on the tips of the Meltaguns. Congratulations, you now have tabletop quality models.

Step 5: Details (Feel Free to Skip This)

Finally, I decided to do some quick detail work. Buttons and visors were quickly painted with Hawk Turquoise and highlighted with Ice Blue. The Melta powerpacks were painted Blazing Orange. A quick Blazing Orange wash was made using a whole bunch of Tamya X-20A Acrylic Thinner and a tiny bit of the orange and applied around the energy circle or whatever it is. This was then highlighted Sunburst Yellow and then a little White.

Well, that's pretty much it. A nice and easy paintjob that stands up to scrutiny up close and looks fantastic on the table. Now, onto the other 90-some models...

3 comments:

  1. Looking good, but I disagree about the black rimmed bases taking away from the model.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find that I generally agree with Tim, unless the black itself is complimentary to the base colour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great painting article and I would like to do my guard in the same way - as I am a real painting retard, its likely that it wont look nearly as good though.

    ReplyDelete